In 1793, John W. Bloomfield, from New Jersey, traveled up the Mohawk Valley beyond Fort Stanwix, to oversee some surveying for a relative. The next year he returned and, with others, invested in a 6,000 acre tract of Scriba's Patent. In 1794, John and his wife built a log cabin on the site of what is now Annsville Elementary School. This cabin was later the residence of Dr. Beach. They were the first settlers in the town which bears the name of John's wife, Ann. The large, white, pillared house across the street was built in 1822-23 by John's cousin, Joseph Bloomfield.
John built the first sawmill and gristmill in the hamlet now known as Taberg. In 1809, the Oneida Iron and Glass Manufacturing Company began its operation and in 1811 a blast furnance was built for the production of pig iron. It is said that shot and shell were produced here for the War of 1812.
Charcoal was used in the production of pig iron and residents of Annsville, particularly those living on Coal Hill Road, burned wood to make charcoal which they sold to the iron company. That is where Coal Hill got its name. The hamlet surrounding this furnace was named Taberg, after an iron mining town in Sweden.
Elias Brewster, who came from Connecticut, settled in Annsville in 1806, having lived in Western since 1790. He began clearing land and building a rude cabin for his family which arrived in April of 1807.
Adam P. Campbell and Nicholas Armstrong settled on the meadows, in 1805 or 1806. About this time a man by the name of Wade settled on the Forks. Dan Taft, and a man by the name of Jones settled near where Vincent Taft now keeps a public house. Dan Taft for a number of years kept a noted tavern on the same premises. The old Taft Hotel stood two and one-half miles southeast of Taberg on the state road and was destroyed by fire about 1867. Pomeroy Jones notes in his Annals of Oneida County that he remembers staying there one night in June 1814, and that a fine salmon graced the supper table.
In June of 1803, four brothers, Benjamin, Jonathan, James and Abraham Morton, came from Springfield, Mass. and settled in Northern Annsville. In 1805, Jonathan and Samuel Stanford arrived. Peter Abbott from Windham, Vermont settled there in 1806. He was a Revolutionary War veteran. Daniel Miller from Granville, Mass. also settled up north in 1804 on a farm subsequently occupied by John Whiffen. His brother, Eliakim Miller, purchased a farm in 1814.